The Arabian sea is locted in the north of the third largest ocean in the world that is the Indian Ocean, the Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean in the world. The countries that touches arabian sea includes India, Yemen, Oman, Iran, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Somalia. Cyclones are very rare in this part of the world but that does not mean that arabian sea can not give birth to some major storms the famous example is Cyclone Gonu and Cyclone Phet.
How many cyclones have been there in the Arabian sea?
There had been a total of 50 tropical cyclones in the Arabian sea from 1885 till 2010.
Most strongest cyclone in the Arabian sea
This cyclone hit Indian state of Gujarat, its moisture caused heavy rainfall along Pakistani coast including Karachi. It was a category-3 cyclone.
- Fatalities At least 10,000 people died in India and 12 in Pakistan.
- Record It is the fifth strongest cyclone in the Arabian sea.
1999 Sindh cyclone
It made landfall near Karachi, Pakistan. It was a category-3 hurricane at the time of landfall
- Fatalities At least 6400 people died in Pakistan and one person died in India.
- Record According to the JTWC this cyclone is the forth strongest cyclone in the Arabian sea but it is the most strongest cyclone in the history of Arabian sea at the time of landfall.
2001 Gujarat cyclone
It made landfall over Gujarat in India. It was a category-3 hurricane in the sea but weakened to a cyclonic storm status at the time of landfall.
- Fatalities At least 120 or 900 people died in India.
- Record it is the third strongest cyclone in the Arabian sea.
It made landfall over Oman in June 2007. Super cyclone Gonu was a category-5 hurricane.
- Fatalities At least 77 people died in Oman and another 28 people died in Iran.
- Record Cyclone Gonu set many records, it is the only cyclone to strike Iran and it is the most strongest cyclone ever to form in the Arabian sea.
It made landfall in Oman and then made a second landfall near Karachi after that it entered Indian as a low pressure area. It made one of the rarest track of a cyclone. It was a category-4 hurricane.
- Fatalities About 15 people died in Pakistan, 24 people died in Oman while 5 people died in India.
- Record According the JTWC, cyclone Phet is the second strongest cyclone after cyclone Gonu.